Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Trico's - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trico's

World Record Trout
    Denver, North Shore MA and Midcoast Maine, USA
    Hi Davy-do you have any favored wets that generally work on the Gunny-Dream Stream that you like to pull out? I have pretty good success with some soft hackles come PMD/Caddis time-Typically variants of hares ear,(partrige,grouse, snipe, starling) and a rib...normally in the 14-16 range but I normally use them at hatch time and dont feel confident prospecting with them. I guess what wets do you like for prospecting this time of year is a better question.
    FYI if you want to try the Arkansas it is producing very very well this year...the fish are getting bigger and the water levels have been phenomenal this year. I've been fishing between Canon City and Salida and its the best its been since I've lived out here (6years), Normally I dont mention sizes but I've had multiple shots at a 20" plus fish every time out this year and have landed quite a few. Its not like the Taylor nor the Upper Blue or the Frying Pan...but the fish aren't pellet or shrimp fed and they are wild.

Little Rainbow
    Quote Originally Posted by wwelz View Post
    Davy - I am in the east but leaving for Colorado on the first. I plan to be out west for a couple of months
    Bring your Water Master!
    Beer! The cause, and the solution to so many of lifes little problems!

Sherpa.
    I have some friends who have property in Salida and have fished the river in the past, seems like a good year there.

I think from what you say you need to build confidence when fishing wets/soft hackles when there is no hatch. In many cases the best option is to fish the flies with dead drift modes and in the case of riffle water like you have on that river work the flies slowly throug hand across the water, not so much a across and downstream swing, that will often produce many chasers. Bear in mind on water where fish generally see midge and smaller/caddis hatches they expect that food source to drift towards them and not track across stream at a fast rate, in otherwords your presentation values are important.

You are about right for fly sizes 16/16s and maybe 18s at times.
    In so far as winged wets, hares ear/Invicta/Silver Invicta they would certainly be on my hit list, in the case of spider and soft hackles, l would never be without, black spider/black and silver spider/Partridge hares ear/Woodcock or grouse hackle hares ear/ PMD/ red spinner/partridge series with yellow, orange and green bodies, both with brown and grey hackle, orl fly, green tail. Make sure these flies are tied sparse, no heavy hackle. Also you may need to run 6x for the best presentation and animation for the flies.

Other than that if the hoppers are about then for top dropper muddler daddy, mini muddler size 12, these are what l nailed the larger bows and browns on last year in August and one real nice cutt.

Bottom line is this, having the right flies is one thing, your presentation values are more important.

Hope this helps.

Davy.

I

World Record Trout
    I know for certain that I need to have more confidence in using them in more varied situations such as prospecting between hatches etc. Thank you for the information and encouragement!

Little Rainbow
    A few Soft Hackle patterns that I have been using on the Gunnison the past two weeks. I am still using a few size 10 short shanked wet hooks (Mustad 3906), but I am finding myself using more and more size 18 and 16 (3906B) patterns.
    I am by no means an expert, but I have fished the Gunnison River for many years. Close to 30. It is by far my favorite Soft Hackle river. At this time of the year, I rarely nymph fish the Gunnison. Instead, I concentrate on the riffles. I watch as other fishermen walk by the riffles, or only choose to throw dry fly's in this type of water. They usually fish the riffle as a secondary choice as they walk between deeper holes, or longer glides.
    For myself, the Gunnison is not very technical at this time of the year. If the trout are wanting my patterns near the surface, I may grease my leader to with in a few inches of my first wet fly and concentrate on the surface film. If I am seeing fish slashing near the bottom I will add a brass bead to my tippet above one of my Soft Hackles to get my offerings nearer to where I think the fish are showing me where they want it.
    For me, the sheer number of fish that hold in just one riffle can be mind boggling. Granted, most fish in the riffle are small, but there's always a bruiser or two in there as well.
    The riffles I fish can be a few inches to waist deep. The broken surface water provides security from prey above, and as a bonus, lets me get a bit closer with my casts. The faster water provides more oxygen, and a conveyor belt system of fast food for the trout. Everything a fish could want is in the riffles.

Wanna shut the fishing down in a riffle immediately? Walk in it.

These are only my opinions. I do not have a lick of evidence to prove they are right.

Dubbn,

Those are good looking flies, l would use those.

How is the Gunny river level this year, real low when l was there last August, lakes were well down also.
    Most of the larger browns l caught on that river, fish from 15 to 24 ins l caught fishing the slower deeper water sections, often as not those fish were closer to banks that limited any wade access, in otherwords from the easy walk along banks, they were on the opposite side.
    the section of water above the lake produced a number of very good 20 ins browns as well as a number of very nice bows.
    Hope to be there mid August time.

DW

Little Rainbow
    DW, drought conditions the same as last year. Hopefully the water temperatures will lower by the time you fish the Gunnison. I have stopped fishing the Freestone rivers after 12:00 PM. The water gets too warm, and I have been finding quite a few dead trout. I believe it is caused by fishermen playing the trout too long in warm water, then returning the fish with out properly reviving them. We are getting monsoonal moisture now, and the water temps are coming down a bit.

I am sure you will have a fine trip to my home waters. Please report back on your trip. I get a kick out of others that have success with the wet fly on some of the "technical" waters of western Colorado. Despite the press that the Soft Hackles have gotten, rarely do I hear of anyone really putting this style of fly to work. I am a bit selfish, but I am glad most anglers skip over this style of fly.

World Record Trout
    Hey Dubbn...being from the "city" part of Colorado...I feel the same out here: rarely if ever do you hear about or see another fisherman really putting wet flies to work. The one big exception would be the guys at Royal Gorge Anglers (Bill Edrington)...I know they do fish them. I started tying the "original" Breadcrust this spring(split Red Phase Ruffed Grouse quill and all)...its been killer for caddis hatches. I think it was originally developed out in your parts...do you guys still hear of it or fish it?

Little Rainbow
    Quote Originally Posted by SherpaB View Post
    I started tying the "original" Breadcrust this spring(split Red Phase Ruffed Grouse quill and all)...its been killer for caddis hatches. I think it was originally developed out in your parts...do you guys still hear of it or fish it?
    I believe theres a shop or two in Glenwood that still sells it. I tied a dozen quite a few years ago using Ruffed Grouse. I have to admit, I do not have the dedication to tie the pattern. Soaking the feathers, splitting them, and scraping the pith is a tad more than I want to do just for a Soft Hackle. Ok, I'm lazy!

I settled on this. One feather, hook and thread and I have it tied in a couple minutes. It doesn't look as good as the Bread Crust, but I do fairly well with it.

chikni big boobs