Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Fly Reels for Light Line Nymphing
Join Today

Fly Reels for Light Line Nymphing

Having invested in another 2 flylines I'm looking to buy a reel or two for light line nymphing work on 10' #3 & #4 rods. I don't want anything expensive just a nice reel to balance with these rods. Anyone any ideas.

Can you define not expensive? Under $100? Light and inexpensive don't normally go together. But with a 10ft rod, you will not need a super light reel. Redington is ok for the money. I would look for something on clearance. You can get the older style Galvan Rush or Open Back on EBay for $150 or so if you look for it.
    Chasing Bows on the Left Coast
    My fav quad bamboo builder D.E. Daniel Quad Bamboo Fly Rods

Little Rainbow
    i have a lamson konic on my 10' 4 wt and i love it, also orvis just came out with a new reel for like 50 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by attackone View Post
    i have a lamson konic on my 10' 4 wt and i love it, also orvis just came out with a new reel for like 50 bucks
    Cool, whats the new Orvis reel called, tyat might be worth considering.

Little Rainbow
    its called a encounter

World Record Trout
    Denver, North Shore MA and Midcoast Maine, USA
    The Konic would be a great choice too. The drag is very good and has proved to be durable for me.

For a ten foot three and four weight you would be hard pressed to find a better reel than the Nautilus FWX in a 5/6 for that rod size. It's made from a single piece of machined aluminum and is not die cast like other lesser priced alternatives. Get a good reel with a great drag you never know when you'll need it.