Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Northern Mass / Southern NH fisheries
Join Today

Northern Mass / Southern NH fisheries

I just recently accepted a job offer in Andover, MA. Does anyone have any suggestions of fishing destinations in that area when I relocate there? I prefer to trout fish, but I try tackling anything if it will provide a good adventure or some good fishing action.

*TPO Rockstar*

Re: Northern Mass / Southern NH fisheries

Sabo,
    Good luck with your new job. Check with evening sun fly shop.

striped bass and blues.

Magnet - I'll have to stop by the fly shop once i get settled. On their webpage they mention the Squanacook and the Nissitissit, you ever fish those?

VT - I'm sure I'll have to get some type of salt water setup living that close to the cape, you ever go down their?

If you decide to sw fish. Get a switch rod. You can overhead cast that thing like a pro with ease! I was trying one at a local fly shop and I was able to cast between 140-150 feet easily. That extra distance can be the difference between a lot of fish and zero, when fishing the salt with a fly rod!

*TPO Rockstar*

sabo,
    I fished the cape some over the years but mostly with a surf casting rod and some from a boat. Race point and also Chatham. My son chases the blue fin up there a lot with his buddies. They cast into the schools with big spinning rods. I never fished those two rivers you mentioned but I have a feeling you will be making the trip back home to the Winooski once in a while.

The Squannacook can produce good fishing but flows are low at the moment and the temp is up. The Nissitissit has a good C&R only section and tends to run a little cooler than the Squannacook, from what I have been told. I have fished the Squan, but not the Niss.

Closer to Andover try the Shawsheen River and Possibly the Ipswich River both are stocked in the Spring. There are also numerous Lakes and Ponds locally that are also stocked.

Try Ballard Vale Coves in North Andover, on the Shawsheen for a mixed bag of fish like Bass, pike etc.

Stripped Bass Fishing in the Newburyport/Joppa flats area, and also Plum Island are supposed to be excellent and possibly a better bet than dragging down to the cape.

Slightly further afield we also have the Millers River and the deerfield river, 1 and 1.5 hr drives respectively.

Try this link for some Shawsheen fishing spots... http://www.shawsheen.org/recmap/Info...es/fishing.htm

I hope this is useful. Please let me know if I can help you out any further.

Sabo, fishing for blues and stripers is on the to do list. I am hoping this summer is going to be my first time. I was thinking about using my 8wt, floating line, heavy leader and some streams or maybe some dahlberg divers for some surface action.