Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Hoosic or Batenkill
Join Today
    rckrego

Hoosic or Batenkill

Anyone fish the Hoosic and Batenkill rivers upstate outside of Albany? The batenkill once in NY gets a lot less pressure than around the manchester VT area. I've spent some time on the river since my grandparents live nearby. I haven't tried the hoosic though? Anyone ever fish that? There are lots of little creeks in the capitla region that are loaded with trout. Its a good time.

Also, if you're up for the drive, the Au Sable and other rivers in the Adirondacks are a good time.

Re: Hoosic or Batenkill

torrey can tell you about the hoosic and the battenkill. he used to work for orvis about a hundred years ago . i know that he has told me about some giant trout that have been caught in the hoosic. i am going to check out the hoosic this spring when i am up in ct. guiding so i will let you know.

rckrego

Any time you wanna hit up the Hoosic or Batenkill, we can head up and stay at my grandparents house. They live in Troy and ahve a two-family place with the upper apartment empty (the tenant died a couple years ago). We should get Torrey and Justin and head up there once my grandparents get back from NC, or even before f its cool with them.

i am in on that one. we can also hit the deerfield in mass. it is supposed to be a really good trout fishery. i know someone who looks at this board has a lot of experience there. it is not far from te other two streams that we are talking about either.

If it were me I would go to the Hoosic hands down unless you want to make the Orvis pilgramige. I have done both but have limited experence with the Batenkill. From what I understand and I could be wrong the Hoosic is not stocked due to tanic acid being in the water but could be wrong. If one plans on going to that area their are some back up plans within reasonable driving time. Some rivers in my opinon might be better then the Hosic although the bows are nice in the Hoosic that anyone on this site would be happy to catch.

Those larger fish can be few and far between at times but are wild just be certain to check the USGS and get their early before the river warms up. I did not see many if any mayflys while I fished the river most of the insects that I saw were caddis species with larger fish being taken on nymphs.

Break on Through (To The Other Side)

TPO Faithful

Pretty sure u r right on the no stocking- there are PCB's and they only put fish in the upper branches of the Hoosic, but not in the main stem. That river sounds like a sleeper to me. Tannic acid is what gives many trout streams that "weak ice tea" color- it occurs naturally and doesn't bother the trout at all. I haven't fished the Hoosic yet but plan to this year, several friends speak well of it. I lived in Manchester briefly years ago, working for Orvis (before I knew better...), and I caught plenty of browns & brookies, but nothing of any real size. I used to drive back to CT to fish the Housy. There are big fish in the Battenkill, they just don't come easy, and from what I've read, their #'s are way down from what they historically were. Sounds like they finally figured the biggest reason for their decline- lack of instream cover. They are doing a stream improvement study to see what happens. I guarantee it will boost both #'s and size of the trout in the section they "improve".
    A Redneck's last words, "Hold my beer while I do this...."

[quote author=Nymphmeister link=topic=14.msg836#msg836 date=1171901273]
    Pretty sure u r right on the no stocking- there are PCB's and they only put fish in the upper branches of the Hoosic, but not in the main stem. That river sounds like a sleeper to me. Tannic acid is what gives many trout streams that "weak ice tea" color- it occurs naturally and doesn't bother the trout at all. I haven't fished the Hoosic yet but plan to this year, several friends speak well of it. I lived in Manchester briefly years ago, working for Orvis (before I knew better...), and I caught plenty of browns & brookies, but nothing of any real size. I used to drive back to CT to fish the Housy. There are big fish in the Battenkill, they just don't come easy, and from what I've read, their #'s are way down from what they historically were. Sounds like they finally figured the biggest reason for their decline- lack of instream cover. They are doing a stream improvement study to see what happens. I guarantee it will boost both #'s and size of the trout in the section they "improve".
    [/quote]

Am I right about them not stocking the river due to the tannic acid? If not why dont they stock that river is their a perticular reason. I knows of someone who catches pigs on the Beaver Kill but I think they are a few hear and there. If you decide to make the trip PM me.
    Break on Through (To The Other Side)

Master Baits

I fish the batenkill and its tough. However there are some tribs and independant creeks that hold trout most of them are put and take though. drive a little more north and west and you can find some good fishing that will be good most of the year. drive even further west or north and find gold. Im not trying to be cryptic just seems like the west and north of the capital district has better trout fishing than the central area. Or......You know something I dont know. Care to trade secrets?