Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
west branch in may
Join Today

west branch in may

ive never fished the upper delaware before and pretty new to flyfishing all together, but im taking some time off work before i but 14 straight 50 hour weeks. i know there is a water release i believe 4/17 would that be a good time to take some big streamers up there? i also plan to fish it during the week one day, what would you recomend trying on a typical may day? ill be happy even catching one or two smaller trout but would make me exastic to catch a decent sized wild brown or rainbow. any advice
    every lesson learned might put one more fish in your hand down the road, so every lesson is worth listening to

Re: west branch in may

Watch the water temps...if the river cools down too much with the release it'll slow the fishing for a few days. Not probable in May but you never know.

Streamers can always take fish on that system but to be honest it's a better tactic from the bow of a drift boat. Besides, by May you'll have mucho bugs to keep you busy! Caddis, sulphurs, Stenos, Stenacrons, and more!
    Loren Williams

I second the streamer suggestion. Its better from a boat.

About the bugs, there will be more insects on the water than you can think of. Use generic mayfly and caddisfly imitations. Don't get too specific, it can cause laots of problems with all the different hatches. For dry flies be basic as well use simple dries that have a body, trailing shouck and a wing. Hackeld flies don't work well here except in the case of spinners. I really like compara-spinners. You should have a great time there!

Wet flies are deadly up there during hatch periods...and almost no one fishes them (correctly at least).
    Loren Williams

well if you got to fish the wets correctly then im out. i really need someone to go out with me one time and teach me, its all been learning as i go so far which works but slow. maybe i can get my girlfriends dad to go out with me a couple times in the next few weeks.
    every lesson learned might put one more fish in your hand down the road, so every lesson is worth listening to

All good advice. May is the best time to go. Lots of bugs. Try and go when the march browns are coming off. Find a nice riffle and start prospecting with a big dry fly. It is a tactic that has worked well for me in the past.