Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Big Buskill 4/10/2008
Join Today

Big Buskill 4/10/2008

Fished with Trout5 for around 5-8. The water temp was a warm 54 degrees. We saw Hendricksons hatching!!! There were also caddis, stoneflies and a fww other mayflies hatching. We even saw rising fish! Needless to say the catching was not so bad either. This was another learning experience. I had to use lightly weighted flies as the larger ones were ineffective. The fly of the day was the Hoover and a fly that looked like a hendrickson nymph. Spring is here!

Re: Big Buskill 4/10/2008

Cool...glad you made that progression. Did you notice that, as you are able to fish with lighter flies, strike detection is amplified? I still train using heavy flies just to stay sharp, but when I have my druthers I find ways to make small flies produce--even in very heavy water. It is a confidence issue though--you have to do it and learn in order to see the results.. As the summer progresses, the heavy fly is going to fall out of practical use in most places.

I am glad it is coming to light that there are just so many details and applications involved with fishing weighted flies--it goes far beyond just czech nymphing.

Hoover...that fly sucks.
    Loren Williams

Yeah, it just takes more concentration and better and more accurate casting. Also, the lighter flies require more slack in the presentation so the sighter plays a huge role. By slack I am not talking just dumping line out. However the line can not be as tight as the other methods. A tight line will now allow the flies to "work" properly. The takes were very noticeable! They were easily seen.

Also, most takes were in the firstfive feet of the drift so immediate attention needs to be paid as soon as the cast hits the water.

[quote author=AaronJasper link=topic=1531.msg10961#msg10961 date=1207921939]
    Yeah, it just takes more concentration and better and more accurate casting. Also, the lighter flies require more slack in the presentation so the sighter plays a huge role. By slack I am not talking just dumping line out. However the line can not be as tight as the other methods. A tight line will now allow the flies to "work" properly. The takes were very noticeable! They were easily seen.

Also, most takes were in the firstfive feet of the drift so immediate attention needs to be paid as soon as the cast hits the water.
    [/quote]

Yup. Next, try it on a very windy day .
    Loren Williams